Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Paul Bunyan Archery Company



 Paul Bunyan Fiberglass Recurves
by Larry Vienneau


During the 1950 and early 1960s Paul Bunyan Bait Company was Minnesota's largest and most popular lure company.  It was started in 1939 by Karl Larson and based in Minneapolis Minnesota. 

Building housing Paul Bunyan Bait Company, Minnesota Historic Society

It sold Fishing tackle and lures, in the 1950s it began making Archery Equipment. Their archery division was first called Paul Bunyan Glass Products and later became Paul Bunyan Archery Company. It competed with Ben Pearson, Bear and Shakespeare for the solid glass bow. Some people believe that Ben Pearson made the bows for Paul Bunyan but this isn't true.
late 1950s Ad
 Paul Bunyan owned a fiberglass factory in Minneapolis and made fiberglass fishing rods and later archery equipment. In their advertising material they claim to be have made the first solid fiberglass recurve. 
Paul Bunyan bow being tested

During the 1950s Paul Bunyan bows were considered a high quality fiberglass bow. All solid glass limbs are predisposed to stacking and are heavier then wood and fiberglass laminated bows. Because of the heavier limbs they are slower on recovery, and therefore have a slower arrow speed then modern laminate recurves. 
1954 ranking of the best bows for the money

Paul Bunyan Fiberglass Bows were lethal hunting weapons

 If you happen to find some 1950s and 60s archery magazines, you will see photos and readers’ letters about these bows as well as lots of photos of, big game (including Elk, Bear, and Moose!) was killed with solid glass bows, as they were quite popular due to the low price and overall durability. Paul Bunyan made excellent shooters for nearly 20 years.I have not been able to find the exact year they closed their business but it was likely in the early to mid-1960s. 
late 1950s Ad
There isn't much information about the company or the bows online so this is best I could do reconstructing the history.
I shot a lot of fiberglass bows when I was a kid. I never paid much attention to the brand, however I do remember Shakespeare because I bought one with my chores money. I am sure I shot Paul Bunyan bows too. Like many of these vintage fiberglass bows, they can be bought on eBay for a nice price. 
I bought three great 50-55 lb Paul Bunyan ambidextrous bow within one week. They were in fairly good condition and I cleaned them and refinished them. I bought the Model 100, 300, and 500. The oldest is the Model 500, a longbow. Both the Model 300 and 100 are fine shooting recurves.
55# Paul Bunyan Model 100
 
50#  Model 300

50# Model 500
limb profiles of the bows
The Model 100 is the more expensive model. It has a more pronounced recurve. I needed to add a handle wrap to the Model 500, I also added half golf tees for arrow rests. I hate shooting off the knuckle, when I was younger I shot a wooden arrow which had a crack, half the arrow imbedded into my hand, not a pretty picture!!! All three bows were in fine shape. The only problem I had was with the Model 300. Some of the nocks were worn and the string did not want to stay put, so I refiled the nock groove. 
refiled nock groove
The bows are very good shooters. I got nice groups from all three. Each had the typical hand shock but Model 100 was very slight. 
I shot 12 arrow 410 grain weight from each bow though my chronograph and average the results. These bows have Fast Flight strings, here are the results:

55# Model 100 -------------178.68 FPS
50# Model 300 -------------173.18 FPS
50# Model 500 -------------169.57 FPS

respectable speeds for 50 year old fiberglass bows

A Paul Bunyan Bow on the first page of 1954 "Archery Handbook" by Edmund Burke

this 1960s ad shows a hunter with a Model 100 Fiberglass Bow



© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.




36 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leather on these are always beat up, I took a piece of deer hide, soaked it in water. Then I padded it dry and then added Bardge glue to the back of the leather. Then I wrapped the riser area with an Ace bandage and let it dry for a day. The leather will Shrink and it should follow the form of the riser well.

      Delete
    2. dose anyone no if u can get a new tip for the end i picked one up and has a limb with no tip should i try and make one or can i find somewhere

      Delete
  2. Thankyou for the read.How long is the string on the 300 were you able to use a fast flight string?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello P-M-P
      The model 300 is 64 inch so I think a 60" string is ok
      Fast flight is supposed to be safe with these bows. They are pretty tough to wreck

      Delete
  3. i have a a 600 model with 70# and it's stamped pat pending. The handle is in great shape. Do you have an idea what it's worth? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70# is a beast, I have one too. Value depends on condition, and also what people are willing to pay. These fiberglass bows don't sell for much. Usually $35- $75. My 70# bow was in great shape and I got it for $60. I have paid $150 for one rare bow.

      Delete
  4. just looking up info on my model 600 /50#, I got this Bow from my grandfather back in the early 70's when I was in grade school, The sentimental value of this bow along with enjoying outdoor sports is something I hope to pass on to my grandchildren. Thank you for making the information on this bow available....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, I have a Paul Bunyan 600. There is some peeling of the fiberglass on the limbs near the tips. How can this be secured? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      Can you send photos?
      shakespeare.archer@aol.com

      Delete
    2. They are on their way to the email you listed.

      Delete
  6. Larry, on the bottom of the grip there was an attractive what looks to be striped tape. Do you know where I can find any of this? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This appeared to be colored electric tapes. I used it to restore these bows and it matched very well

      Delete
  7. Hello,

    I just got a Paul Bunyan model 100 bow from my friend, a 70 year old fella at my church who wanted me to make him a flemish splice string for him, but my concern is that on the vintage ad it listed the model 100 to be 61" I measured it at 57". I don't think it will effect the bow's shooting capability, other than accuracy, but is it a legit bow, he just bought it off ebay because of my constant yapping about archery, I just wanted to know so I can tell how great a bow he has. And any tips I can share with him on how to care for a fiberglass bow as I'm left stunned and biased to wooden bows.

    And I was planning on making him a string out of BCY 452x bowstring, which I now have no worries about because of your article. But it is a beautiful bow, and I do love the ambidextrous shelf.

    In any case, any tips you can offer I'd appreciate.

    Thank you,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alex
      Your bow may be a different year and that may explain the difference in length. You bow may be older or younger than the ad
      I like these bows, they have some handshock when shooting. However they are nearly indestructible. I teach at a college and I helped students start an archery Club. We bought several fiberglass bows at half the cost of one new laminated bow.
      I would use your bows measurement to make the string. Good luck

      Delete
  8. Hi guys i just bought a 600 #45 and its. In great shape i want to get a string do you know what lenght it shoud be for this bow? Thks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a 60" bow so a 56" or 57" string would be fine. You should try the 57" and twist it to shorten it if needed. 12-14 Strands

      Delete
  9. Thank you larry i appreciate it and thank you for a quick reply your awesome god bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a paul bunyan 400 at an estate sale that looks like it has never been strung. Where can I get a string and how long should the string be? I payed $3 for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      The Model 400 is 57”, correct?
      You should get a string 3-4 inch shorter so string 53-54” string
      Have fun....$3 well spent

      Delete
  11. is there any where to buy limb tips i have a 300 40# not sure if i should take other side off and grove or try and make one any help if someone nos where i can buy one of i should go a different rout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up some old plastic tips on eBay. That is a possibility. Do a saved search

      Delete
  12. You might try horn tips
    https://www.thelongbowshop.com/products/bow-nocks-horn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article. Thanks for the research!
    I got a 400 scout, the 34-pounder. Got a new string, but I can't find anything anywhere on what the brace height should be on these little tack drivers. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article. Thanks for the research!
    I got a 400 Scout #25 and a new string, but I can't find anything about proper brace height anywhere. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What string material and how many strands would you recommend for a model 100 62" 45#? Also any idea on arrow spine? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking for any information on a solid fiberglass bow I found at the dump. Made by Indian archery 40 lb takedown. Have been collecting archery equipment for 35 yrs. Never came across anything like it. Model is Comanche.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a 50 ff. Recently bought and have no idea what the 50 or ff means. Could anyone help me please.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a 50 ff. Recently bought and have no idea what the 50 or ff means. Could anyone help me please.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I happened upon a Paul Bunyan model 300 bow,no string looking for someone who might be able to give me some info on it if anyone still hangs around this site :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I happened upon a Paul Bunyan model 300 bow with no string. I dont know much about bows in general and I'm wondering if there is anyone who can give me some info!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have found a model DG 600 #55pp any info great condition leather is still, nice no pilling in the glass tan in color any info thx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello. I was wondering what kinda new string I should get for my old Paul Bunyan 600 #50? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where can I get replacement parts, the tips specifically, in came off on mine.

    ReplyDelete